Donnerstag, 1. September 2011

Seconds Looks and Accurate Measurements!


Last Monday, August 29th, we spent most of our class outside.  This time we didn’t just observe the basic characteristics of our plants, but measured many other factors such as height, crown size, and pH of the soil.  While I was sitting by my plant, I observed many basic changes in it since we had last worked with it.  The first measurement I took was the height of my plant, which was 86.8 centimetres.  I then measured the crown of my plant, which was 76.7 centimetres.  For the next measurement, I picked four leaves off my plant.  I made sure these leaves were located at different places on my plant.  I first measured the sunlight at I got 74743. The first leaf I picked was on the top-right of my plant, therefore, most likely receiving more sun.  The amount of sunlight that leaf absorbed was 4062.  This leaf was very dark compared to the others.  I then measured the sunlight again and got 74812.  I found the second leaf on the top-left section of my plant.  The amount of sunlight this leaf had absorbed was 3162.  This leaf was mainly green.  Once again, I measured the sunlight and got 74382.  The third leaf was located in the inside of my plant on the right.  The amount of sunlight this leaf had absorbed was 1777.  This plant was light green with hints of brown.  The fourth and last leaf was located on the bottom of my plant towards the middle.  This time when I measured to sunlight, I got 65990 and the amount of sunlight this leaf had absorbed was 665.  This leaf was completely dark green.  As you see, the measurement for the sunlight decreased as the day progressed and the farther down the leaf was, the lower the amount of sunlight absorbed was.  I then measured the pH of the soil and got 6.82 meaning it is acidic.  This showed that the soil surrounding my plant had high concentrations of Copper, Zinc, Sulphur, Manganese, Potassium, Phosphorous, and Nitrogen.  It was also on the borderline of Calcium and Magnesium.  The sizes of the branches/trunks of my plant varied.  There were some very nutrient-rich, thick branches/trunks and there were some thinner ones as well.  The first branch/trunk I measured had a diameter of 1.204 centimetres.  This was the thinnest branch/trunk of my plant.  The second branch/trunk had a diameter of 2.23 centimetres.  This was the thickest branch/trunk of my plant.  The diameter of the third branch/trunk I measured was 1.31 centimetres and lastly, the diameter of the fourth branch/trunk was 1.66 centimetres.  These measurements would leave me with an average of 1.6 centimetres. 

There were also some basic observations I found quite interesting.  Lots of the flowers had fallen of my plant.  This could be a result of the lack of rain or the lack of pollination.  I also observed that the branches/trunks of my plant had gotten a lot thicker.  This shows that the branches/trunks had gained more nutrients and water, but like I said in my last sentence, there is obviously a lack of rain in Brasilia this time of year.  This would lead me to the conclusion that my plant is being watered quite regularly.  

The real question is, what is the importance of measuring our plants?  As I remember the first few days of school, I remember receiving this assignment.  I remember on of the main goals of this assignments being to observe the changes in our plants throughout the year.  If we do not measure our plants consistently, we will not know the change that has occurred. These measurements will also help us assess what our plant needs, just like a doctor or nurse examines us and then prescribes us with antibiotics.  We would be “prescribing” our plants with water or nutrients. 


*I do have recent pictured of my plant, but blogger would not let me upload them.  I'l try again tomorrow and upload the pictures as soon as I can.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen