Mittwoch, 10. August 2011

First Observations!



Common Name: Azalea            
Scientific Name: Rhododendron


Location: Near main office and music/arts classrooms.


Description: 
·      Leaves: small, short green leaves, leaves more exposed to the sun have turned a lighter green or even yellow color

·      Flower: bright pink with a long pistil and stamen, have brighter pink markings on the inside possibly used to attract insects to the flowers, pistil and stamen can be easily differentiated

·      Stem: brown (thinner and thicker at different parts), thicker parts could mean those parts have more nutrients, new stems growing

·      Branches: thin brown branches, flower buds on branches, the branches with more flowers is thicker (more nutrients), and has been exposed more to the sun, new branches growing, one branch is growing (possibly has been trimmed)

·      Roots: not visible


What attracted you to this particular plant on campus?
-What first stood out to me about this plant was the vibrant color of the flowers.  The earth is so brown and dry right know, that the already-bright color was even more striking.  I also suspected that because of its small size, it is a young plant and I will be able to observe its growth over the coming year.


What changes do you expect to see over the next 9-21 months?
-I expect this plant to get taller and grow more leaves and flowers.  I also expect for the leaves to become more lush and fuller.  I do not expect for the plant to grow fruit.  I also do not expect for the plants roots to surface.  I expect the flowers that have not yet bloomed to bloom.


After studying the plant for approximately 20 minutes, what surprises you or what aspect did you not notice before?
-I noticed that the majority of flowers were on one side of the plant and not as many on the other.  I then looked at the stem/branches of the side with more flowers and noticed that they were thicker, meaning that they have more nutrients than the other stems/branches.  This could be because one side is more exposed to the sun.  I noticed that some leaves had a lighter green or even yellow color, which could also be connected to the sun.  I then took a closer look at the flowers and could clearly see the pistil and stamen.  I also saw the brighter/darker pink markings on the inside of each flower.  I suspected that these markings could be used to attract insects to the flowers.




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen